Sunday, June 15, 2008

So Happy Just To See You Smile

...underneath the sky of blue
(from "New Morning")

Smiles all around after the Royals scored 20 runs in two nights in Arizona. Twenty runs! Without a DH! Perhaps we should dump the DH and let Zack Greinke and Gil Meche hit...

OK, maybe not. It is encouraging that the Royals are scoring more runs lately. It's been overshadowed by the bullpen meltdowns, but starting with that brutal 9-8 loss to the Twins, KC has scored 89 runs in 18 games. That's almost 1/3 of their season total (273). Of course, thanks in part to the arsonists in the 'pen, the good guys are only 7-11 in that span.

But anytime you go on the road and win a series against a division leader, you have to feel good. The Royals have done that twice in two interleague series (Florida was in first when KC did it in May). Perhaps this will be a better building block than that one--it may help that the next stop is not Boston and Jon Lester's no-hit stuff.

I'd like to believe the Royals more closely resemble the team that got on the plane in Miami that night in May with a 21-22 record than the team that has gone 7-20 since. Yes, even after all we've seen the last few years, I guess I still have an optimistic streak. Or I'm not that bright...

OK, on to the first round of the I-70 Series. Should be fun, especially since we don't have to face that Pujols guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not that bright. Just kidding! You're brilliant! Booooo no Pujols; I want to see him next week!

Minda said...

I always get giddy for the I-70 series. This is going to be fuuuuuuun!

(Also, I really hate off days. What the heck am I supposed to do with all these hours without having Royals games to watch???)